[freshports-coders] FreshPorts & AWS - trimming excess services

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Fri Jan 22 19:23:20 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021, at 2:14 PM, Dan Fitzpatrick wrote:
> I'm not sure how complex the setup is but from what I see, two
> instances of EC2 talking to RDS and a load balancer in front of the EC2
> instances would be simple. Not sure if you need auto-scaling or not.

It is just one EC2 instance, I have two, but the other one is not active.

No autoscaling is anticipated.

There is no real scaling involved. It works off one webserver and one database.

These are recent FreshPorts stats on the 15-year-old server:

https://twitter.com/DLangille/status/1347339006909022210

I thought I posted stats for the new-server, but cannot find them right now.

> Do you have any info on budget, availability requirements, performance
> requirements?

Budget is based on AWS open source credits. I have enough to last until the end of my year (which is August or so). I based that cost on hosting the PostgreSQL database myself, on an
EC2 instance. I have much more than I need I think.

Availability is 24/7, but I don't mind taking the host offline for 2 hour for upgrades.

--
  Dan Langille
  dan at langille.org