[freshports-coders] Reviving the coders list for taking on new helpers

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Thu Apr 20 14:08:15 UTC 2023

Hello,

In the recently released FreeBSD status report, I mentioned I was looking for people to start taking on various tasks associated with FreshPorts. It's better to gain experience now rather when it's suddenly needed due to unforeseen circumstances.

I think the  best place to start is getting used to regular maintenance:

* pkg upgrades
* OS upgrades

There is also plenty of shell, python, perl, and PHP code around. Plus, plenty of PostgreSQL stored procedures and a big but not necessarily complex databases.

One major task: convert the backend subversion repositories to git. This is the first step towards getting that code into GitHub, which would make many things easier.

Once that's done, we can start setting up more test jails for this stuff. I have a few hosts for that.

If you're interested, please send me your ssh-public key and preferred login name.

We are just weeks away from BSDCan and PGCon.  My priority is that at present and I'll devote time to FreshPorts when I can.

Thank you

--
  Dan Langille
  dan at langille.org